Thursday, September 11, 2008

Just when You think......

I could do a lot of those. Just when you think......you've got it all figured out, you're done, you're in the clear, you're something,...........it comes back and smacks you square in the face like a boomerang. Things have been going very well with Max and his speech. Oh sure there are times when I'm completely clueless as to what he's talking about, I just nod and go on, or say o.k. and go on (gotta stop that one though because I can see us getting into a lot of trouble) or I say really........ and hope that he says something else that gives me a clue as to what specifically he is talking about. So anyway, Max is doing really well, has over 200 words, picks up new ones daily (or every other day) starting to put more consonants in, following two and three step directions, making his own little two or three word combo sentences. I'm feeling pretty good and confident about all this again. (Let me say there are peaks and valleys in my confidence level in where Max is at, where he's going and how long it's going to take to get there.) So Monday Max gets home and lays on the couch, won't get up and I take his temp and it is 102!!!! O.k. so we start the piggy back of Tylenol and Ibuprofen. Tuesday morning he still has a fever of 99.9 or so and it goes up to 99.9 and down to 99.1 (I know not technically a fever but still, not your average.) So I start asking Max does your ear hurt? No. Does your throat hurt? Funny look and then a "no". And I realize that he has no idea what his throat is!!!!! He knows ears, I mean honestly how could he not since his have been poked and prodded and discussed more than any other topic in our house. He knows nose, arms, legs, eyes, hair, head, feet, hands, toes, fingers, knee, belly but throat..... that is a new one. And the trick is getting him to figure it out. So when he went and got it checked and yes his throat was red, I tried to explain where his throat was. So, thus goes the confidence level again, swinging on the downside as I realize just how much more he has to learn just with normal bodily functions. Sigh....
Can you hear me?

No comments: